| If they will not come to the mountain... - sketch by TD |
If a public space is not being used because it does not correspond to the habits and mentality of the public, its typology has to be reformed. The thought that I can't seem to avoid is that if the living will not come to the memorial, then the memorial should come to the living - physically and mentally.
Counter to that, one has to ask 'but what if the memorial is no longer relevant? What if people do not want to be reminded?' Perhaps I have worked on this project for so long that I cannot remember not feeling with utter conviction that we should be reminded where we came from as part of our daily lives.
Awareness of the layers of community that preceded us, reminds us that human society is a sedimentary process, and that our delusions of continuity broken by mortality are not delusions. I need to remind myself how I came to that conclusion - and provide a method for others to come to that conclusion as well.




0 comments:
Post a Comment