SUGER AND SPICE AND ALL THINGS NICE

CONCENTRIC CIRCLES
photo by TD
At some point in the recent past I visited Ssangil Market in Insadong. Everywhere I go I see types and forms that feel original and innovative and astonishing, but on some level I'm sure I've seen them before. Seoul feels so familiar, but there are tiny twists that bewilder from the periphery of my perception.

SHINY BY DAY
photo by TD
This is certainly not the first multi-storey retail building I have seen, and I'm sure somewhere I've registered in my mind a slow ascent alongside shops or stalls, on a bridge perhaps, or hillside town. Why then here, where it merges together into a wonderful helix of commercialism does it feel so fresh and joyful?

SHINY BY NIGHT
photo by TD
As you slowly rise and look back at the shiny little things inside, then outside, then back in, then out but further up, to a grassy verge there is no bitter taste of cheapness or struggle. This may be the high commercial value of the site shining through, but lets ignore the cynicism for a moment and enjoy the sights.

MOUNTAIN PATH
photo by TD
If a place makes Seoulites happy, they like to let you know, and will write a message to tell you. 'I have been here,' they say, 'and I'm having a great time!' Every reasonable space is covered with graffiti, but not the sneering, smirking kind you often see in other countries, just sugar and spice and all things nice.

I WAS HERE, HERE I WAS, WAS I HERE? YES I WAS!
photo by TD

0 comments:

Post a Comment